Running by yourself can be tiresome, but often joining a local group can seem intimidating. Here are 5 reasons to join a running group that might just be the extra motivation you need to get out there with a group.
1. If you are talking to other people chances are you aren’t worrying about making dinner or the presentation you need to work on. This allows your mind to relax and reduces stress.
2. Having a running crew keeps you motivated. If you see how much people are running on your Strava and Instagram feed it’s hard to not feel bad for skipping all those pre-work runs.
3. It’s a great way to meet new people. Even if the people you run with aren’t going to be your best friend for life, they will be there for all the ups and downs of your running. They will understand your injury complaints and your excitement about your new 5k PR.
4. Safety first. Like any physical activity running comes with risks. Having a buddy with you can really save your butt, whether it’s to give you an extra gel or help you hobble to safety after a sprained ankle.
5. Go get the deals! Often if you join a local shop running group you will get special treatment on anything from shoes to race entries. And there are always a few giveaways!